Parks & Playgrounds
BEECH STREET PARK is a designated Green Acres Park located at the corner of Beech St. and Mill St. It contains a swing set, playground unit with slides, two picnic tables, and one bench (to be added in the fall of 2021!). Concrete pad for the bench to be donated by the Moorestown Business Association.
FRANK FULLERTON PARK is a designated Green Acres Park located at the corner of Zelley Ave. and Linden St. It is named for Moorestown Police Officer Sgt. Francis Fullerton, who was killed in the line of duty in 1979 (DOB: 1930; DOD: 6/1/79). Sgt. Fullerton attended MHS and joined the military in the 1950s. He returned to Moorestown and became a police officer, serving for 24 years. This park has become a stop on the annual Police Unity Tour (to benefit the families of fallen police officers). The park’s playground was rebuilt in 2010-2011 through the efforts of the non-profit Friends of Fullerton and the township. In 2011, the township received a $250,000 grant from the Burlington County Municipal Park Development Program for renovations. This beautiful park is home to a regulation Cal Ripkin little league baseball field and two tennis courts. The multi-age playground contains multiple swing sets (with handicap-accessible and generation swings) and separate play areas for younger and older children. Bathrooms onsite, open April through October. In 2022, the Moorestown Rotary Charities will adopt this park.
JEFF YOUNG PARK (& NEW ALBANY RECREATION CENTER) is a designated Green Acres Park located at the corner of New Albany and Lenola Roads. This nine acre park is named for Sgt. Jeffrey Young - Charlie Co., BLT 1/8 2nd Marine Division (DOB: 7/25/61; DOD: 10/23/83). Sgt. Young was a member of the MHS Class of 1960. He was killed when a suicide terrorist from Iran took down the Battalion Landing Team Building in Beirut Lebanon in 1983. He is buried at Lakeview Cemetery, Cinnaminson, NJ. Sgt. Young was a Moorestown resident and his family continues to assist in the organization of the annual Memorial Day events in Moorestown.
This park boasts the New Albany Recreation Center with meeting rooms and restroom facilities. The playground has separate play areas for younger and older children and a handicap-accessible swing. The park’s surrounding fields attract local children daily and many sporting activities. The park has two softball fields and open space utilized as soccer fields in the fall. The lighted basketball court, two tennis courts (also lined for pickleball), and two dedicated pickleball courts are filled daily. Port-A-Pots onsite. Renovation of the tennis/pickleball courts was completed in the fall of 2021. This parks has been adopted by the Moorestown Rotary Breakfast Club.
JOHN PRYOR PARK is located at the corner of Salem and Hartford Roads and was formerly fruit orchards. This picturesque, 15 acre park was renamed after township resident Major John P. Pryor, MD who was killed in action during his second tour of duty in Iraq. Pryor Park boasts two lighted baseball fields with synthetic turf infields and two grass soccer fields (11 v 11 lighted practice field and 8 v 8 game field). A playground, complete with handicap-accessible swing and two playground units for younger and older children is also located at the park. The park’s state of the art little league complex hosts tournaments, such as the U12 Cal Ripken State Tournament, and league games all year long. Bathrooms onsite, open April through November.
MAPLE DAWSON PARK is a designated Green Acres Park and a shining example of recreation at its finest. The park is located on the corner of Maple Avenue and Dawson Street and is always bustling with activity – from youth and adult pick-up basketball games and a summer youth basketball league on two courts to tennis lessons and friendly matches on its four courts. The park offers a playground complete with handicap accessible swing and picnic tables. The gentle stream that flows through the park connects to the Pompeston Creek and is always a point of interest. The open space of this park lends itself to a perfect picnic lunch or outing with friends. RECENT PARK IMPROVEMENTS - Tennis courts received new surface, posts and nets and are enclosed with a 10’ high vinyl coated chain link fence (black). The basketball courts received new surface, poles, backboards and nets. Bathrooms onsite, open April through October. Three benches are scheduled to be installed in this park in the fall of 2021. Concrete pads for the benches donated by the Moorestown Business Association.
MEMORIAL FIELD is aptly named for the multi-war Memorial that stands at the entryway. This is the site of the Annual Memorial Day Ceremony in Moorestown and a beautiful multi-sport facility tucked away off the beaten path. Located off of South Church Street, Memorial Field has a ¼ mile cinder running track which surrounds one of the park's three soccer fields. There are five baseball fields and one softball field in this generously wooded area that backs up to Strawbridge Lake Park. The lower four baseball fields are dedicated in memory of the following Vietnam Veterans who died in the line of duty: Howard Mayer, George S. Yohnnson, Roger A. Ross, and W. Phillip Seel Jr. Funding raising effort has allowed the Vietnam Veterans Memorial to be upgraded. A re-dedication will be held in the spring of 2022.
Cpl Howard Mayer - 5th Infantry Div. Served as Indirect Fire Infantryman. DOB: 9/2/47; DOD: 12/3/66. MHS Class of 1965. Attended Trenton Junior College. Killed in combat near the demilitarized zone. Remembered for his smile, sense of humor and kindness for others. Buried at Beverly National Cemetery, Beverly, NJ.
Pfc George S. Yohnnson - 101 Airborne Div., 2nd Batt, 327 Infantry, C Company. DOB: 4/10/47; DOB: 7/12/66. Died during hostile action while in Quang Tri Province. Received 10 service commendations. Buried at Locustwood Memorial Park, Cherry Hill, NJ.
WO 1 Roger A. Ross - DOB: 5/6/46; DOD: 12/24/68. MHS Class of 1964. Attended Drexel Institute of Technology before entering the Army in December 1967. He had only been in Vietnam for two weeks when he perished with four others in a plane accident aboard a 92AHC. Buried at Beverly National Cemetery, Beverly, NJ.
HM2 W. Phillip Seel Jr. - Navy Corpsman with Golf Btry 3/12-12th Marines-3rd Marine Division. DOB: 10/3/46; DOD: 2/25/69. MHS Class of 1966. Died in action while stationed at Fire Support Base in Quang Tri Province. Was awarded the Silver Star. Seel Hall at the Philadelphia Naval Base is named in his honor. Buried at Beverly National Cemetery, Beverly, NJ.
In 2013, the township received a $125,000 grant from the Burlington County Municipal Park Development Program to refurbish the track at Memorial Field. (Bathrooms onsite open April 1st through October 31st. Spot-a-pots available year round).).
PERKINS MEMORIAL AND GROUNDS, located at the intersection of Camden Avenue and West Main Street, was donated to the Township as a park area in 1965. The grounds of the property include specimen trees from the Perkins Nursery. A three story building is leased by the Perkins Center for the Arts, a non-profit organization that offers a variety of arts and music programs. A small triangular-shaped parcel formed by the intersection of Camden Avenue and West Second Street is used for passive recreation and is known as Remembrance Garden.
REMEMBRANCE PARK - In 1910, the Moorestown Improvement Association (established in 1904) purchased and landscaped the triangular lot at Second Street and Camden Avenue, which was turned over to the township in 1918. The township dedicated the park as a war memorial in 1919, honoring those who died in the service of their country during World War I. The memorial was renovated and rededicated on July 31, 1994, by American Legion Post 42. In 2003, the Moorestown Improvement Association provided additional financial contributions in support of the park and it was formally named Remembrance Park in 2004. The park is maintained by the township and contains benches and planters adorned with colorful ceramic tile mosaics, depicting plants and wildlife indigenous to southern New Jersey.
STRAWBRIDGE LAKE AND STRAWBRIDGE LAKE PARK is one of Moorestown’s most unique areas. This 70 acre park was built as part of Roosevelt’s New Deal initiatives and the Works Progress Administration efforts from 1931-1941. The lake was built by employing local residents during the Great Depression and by securing donations of parcels of land. The Strawbridge Family donated the largest parcel thereby the name, Strawbridge Lake. New playground equipment was added to the park in January 2021 - swing sets and play equipment, including ADA accessible pieces, for children of all ages. The Moorestown Rotary Charities made a donation that was used to purchase of a new swing set with two tot swings and one ADA swing. They also donated four benches that were installed near the lake across from the playground. The lake offers residents fishing, kayaking and canoeing access, plenty of open space and walking, running and biking opportunities. There are 2 boat launch areas marked for easy parking and access to the lake.
CHILDREN'S POND AT STRAWBRIDGE LAKE PARK - The Children's Pond is located adjacent to the Strawbridge Lake Park playground. In the past, it has served as a popular fishing spot. However, over the years, the depth of the pond has been reduced due to the accumulation of organic and inorganic matter. This affected the pond's ability to sustain fish and was having an impact on the quality of the water in Strawbridge Lake. To address this, the pond was dredged in 2020, removing sediment, and restoring the pond to its original depth. To read about the dredging of the Children's Pond, see this article.
A memorial garden in memory of Annalise Schultz was dedicated in September 2021. To learn about Annalise, please visit www.AmazingAnnalise.com.
The NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife stocked the Children’s Pond in September 2021 with 100 2" largemouth bass, 250 2-3" bluegill sunfish, and 3,000 adult fathead minnows.
STOKES HILL, located on East Main Street, occupies a unique place among the Township’s open space parcels. It has traditionally been used for sledding and is across the street from the home of the inventor of the Flexible Flyer, arguably the most famous name in sleds. The land was held privately until purchased by the Township through the State of New Jersey’s Green Acres Program to maintain its traditional use for sledding.
SWEDE RUN FIELDS, DOG PARK, located at 735 Westfield Road is a 40-acre open space parcel that includes the dog park, as well as an old stone shed. The dog park is open from dawn to dusk and has two separate areas for the dogs (small dog under 35 pounds and large dog over 35 pounds). There is water available for dogs (April - October) and picnic tables and shade for the owners. Owners are responsible for removal of all dog waste and refuse bags are provided on site. For safety reasons, please do not feed dogs in the park. Port-a-pots onsite year round.
WALTER T. MAAHS PARK is located at the corner of Lenola Road and Wilson Avenue. The park was named after life-time resident and World War II veteran, Walter T. Maahs. Walter was born on December 3, 1926. He grew up down the street from the park on Winthrop Ave. and started getting involved in volunteering in his early 20s. From when he first became involved in Moorestown government, Walter was focused on the recreational opportunities available to children living in the Lenola section of town. He believed in equal access for all. He concentrated his volunteer efforts in the Parks and Recreation Department, working to develop the tennis and basketball courts and ball fields in Lenola. His other passion was volunteerism. He felt a strong community was achieved by helping your neighbors and being an active contributor in Moorestown. He participated on numerous committees for the township and was a founding member of the Lenola Fire Company Emergency Unit. He served Station 313 for 63 years and was Captain for 14 years. Walter was also the mayor of Moorestown from 1988 to 1996. Walter T. Maahs Park is home to two little league baseball fields. The baseball fields have raised pitching mounds, soft toss areas, outfield fences, and two batting cages. Por April - October. In October 2021, the BBU Foundation donated funds to purchase a swing set complete with ADA, Generation, tot, and strap swings.
WESLEY BISHOP PARK is divided into the North and South parks. This 22 acre sports complex is named after Wesley Bishop, the first Moorestown casualty of World War II (DOB: 10/4/20; DOD: 12/7/41). Petty Officer Third Class Bishop served aboard the USS Arizona. He is memorialized at Tables of the Missing at Honolulu Memorial. Wesley Bishop South is home to 2 softball fields and flag football fields. Wesley Bishop North boasts 2 synthetic turf fields that are lined for field hockey, football, lacrosse and soccer in addition to the upper grass field which is accessible to all sports as well. The annual day-after-Thanksgiving flag football Charity is held on the turf fields. There are two street/roller hockey rinks as well as a 90’ baseball field and beautiful playground that overlooks the playing fields. All fields at this location are lighted. In 2014 the township received a $250,000 grant from the Burlington County Municipal Park Development Program to renovate rink #1. Bathrooms onsite.
YANCY - ADAMS PARK Information from A Quiet Walk through Time —Volume IV: Personal accounts of Black people in Moorestown by Phillip J. Flanders, 2007.
Yancy-Adams Park, located at 423-425 N. Church St., was dedicated on June 18th, 1977 to the memory of community organizers Roxanna Yancy and James Adams. They were instrumental in the establishment and successful operation of the West End Community Center from 1944 until 1968. The Yancy-Adams pocket park is located on the former site of the West End Community Center.
Roxanna Yancy was a strong advocate for the renovation project and township-sponsored recreation program that helped start up the West End Community Center. She was a teacher for many years at Moorestown’s School #7, retiring in 1933 after 35 years of teaching. Miss Yancy was responsible for the establishment of the first kindergarten for Black children in Moorestown. She was active in the International League for Peace and Freedom and through her efforts, a branch of the YWCA was established in the west end of Moorestown.
James Adams was Director of the West End Community Center for nearly 25 years. He was America’s first Black Eagle Scout and was a respected community leader who fought every day to break down racial barriers in our town. Mr. Adams was an influential mentor and role model for the youths who spent time at the Community Center and he fought every day to break down racial barriers in our town.
In 1977, an endowment of over $10,000 was presented to the township of Moorestown by the West End Community Center Board for the purpose of constructing a pocket park on the site of the former Center. It was proposed by the former board members that the park should be landscaped with the walkway connecting the ballfield at the rear to North Church Street. Yancy-Adams Park represents the legacy of two Moorestonians that made our community stronger!
The following improvement projects were completed at Yancy-Adams Park in October 2021: Repair of the brick wall and pavers in front of the wall and removal of an old bench. New benches are scheduled to be installed before the end of 2021. Concrete pads for the benches have been donated by the Moorestown Business Association.