About Moorestown (1722 to 1922)
Thomas Moore and his wife Elizabeth settled here in 1722 and in 1732, Moore purchased 33 acres of land on the north side of The King's Highway. The land ran from the west side of the Friends' graveyard on the northwest corner of The King's Highway and Meeting House Lane on the east and west to Locust Street on the western boundary of his property and north to Second Street.
Mr. Moore set up a hotel on the northwest corner of The King's Highway and Union Streets (currently, a bank). With so much land eventually being owned by Thomas Moore, the name Moorestown gradually replaced Chester informally in what is now the center of town. Finally, Moorestown formerly split off from Chester and became a Township.
The Coles Hotel, east of the corner of Main and Chester, was the scene of great activity prior to the building of the railroad in 1867. Before this time, the stagecoach was the only public conveyance between Moorestown and Philadelphia, and the hotel was a stagecoach stop.
Another landmark on Main Street, east of Chester Avenue, is now the present home of the New Jersey Bell Telephone Company. In 1745 John Cox erected a tavern there that was to become famous in the early history of Moorestown. Town Meetings were held in the tavern prior to 1812 when 'Old Town Hall' was then errected.
The home now standing on the northwest corner of Main and Schooley Streets, then the home of Joshua Bispham, was commandeered by Hessian officers during the Revolutionary War as they retreated from Philadelphia in 1778.
The old homestead on the northeast corner of King's Highway and Lenola Road was constructed in 1742 by John Cowperthwaite. Because of its excellent example of an 18th century home, record of its construction was made in 1937 by the U.S. Department of Interior and is now recorded in the Library of Congress.
Incorporation as Moorestown