Instructions for the Firearm Applicant
- Applicant must be 18 years of age to obtain firearms identification card and 21 years of age to obtain a permit to purchase a handgun. Proof of identification is required. You must provide your New Jersey Driver's License and a Birth Certificate or a Passport.
- All applicants must complete Form STS-033 - Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit (PDF) (Rev. 9/09). The application may be typed or printed. Answer all questions. Failure to comply will result in the dismissal of the application.
- All applicants must complete Form SP-66 - Consent for Mental Health Records Search (PDF) (rev. 1/15 ) Applicant completes part 1 only. Failure to comply will result in the dismissal of the application.
Consent for Mental Health Records Search
Disclosure: Provides that all records of any individual ’ s commitment to a non - correctional institution for mental health reasons shall be confidential and shall not be disclosed except in limited circumstances or with the consent of the individual. This consent must be completed by the firearm applicant. Failure to consent requires denial or disapproval of the application.
- When applying for subsequent permits for a handgun, a change of address, or a duplicate/mutilated identification card applicant must complete Form SBI 212A - Request for Criminal History Record Information for Non-Criminal Justice Purpose. The State Bureau of Identification (SBI) has mandated that all SBI 212A forms must be completed electronically. SBI will no longer accept the yellow 212A paper form for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and Handgun Purchase Permits.
- 212A Online Application Instructions
Login to the New Jersey State Police website.
- When asked for the agency’s ORI number, enter the ORI number NJ0032300.
- A literal translation will appear giving the option of continuing or canceling the filing.
If you choose to continue you will fill out the demographics and select the background
needed. For Firearm Purchaser Identification Cards and Handgun Purchase Permits you will select: NJS 2C:58-3. Firearm licensing.
- You will then be requested to enter your State Bureau of Identification number (SBI
number-also known as the firearms identification number). This is to ensure that you
have been fingerprinted under a firearms application before. If you have not you will be
rejected from the process at this time.
- If all information is correct, you will then check out by making the payment by credit card or electronic check. Once the payment is verified, you will receive a confirmation and receipt that will include your confirmation number. It is recommended you save this document for your records.
- All signatures and dates must be witnessed by Police Personnel or a Moorestown Police Officer upon submittal.
- Fingerprinting for the initial firearms applicants are no longer done by the Police Department. The applicant will be given a form for IdentoGO (the state contractor) to be fingerprinted. Please follow the instructions given on their website.
- For each handgun permit requested a fee of $2 check payable to: Township of Moorestown or money order, (WE CANNOT ACCEPT CASH).
- Upon approval, Permit is valid for 90 days. The permit may be renewed for an additional 90 days prior to the expiration with the first 90 days. Permit becomes voided after 180 days.
- Questions pertaining to special situations contact the Service Division Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 856-914-3036.
- Form SP-642 Application for Permit to Carry a Handgun (PDF)
- Form SP-650 Voluntary Form of Firearms Registration (PDF)
- Form SP-66 Consent for Mental Health Records Search (PDF)
- Form STS-033 Application for Firearm Purchaser ID Card/Handgun Purchase Permit (PDF)
- Instructions for Firearms Applicant
- Instructions for Voluntary Registration of Firearms (PDF)